Monday, March 29, 2010

Who I am

I am Rosemary's granddaughter
The spitting image of my father
And when the day is done
My momma's still my biggest fan
Sometimes I'm clueless and I'm clumsy
But I've got friends who love me
And they know just where I stand
It's all a part of me
And that's who I am
"Who I am" chorus by Jessica Andrews.

This is a song I have loved forever. Whenever it is on I belt out the lyrics and smile because it is me. Then the other day it came on the radio and I started singing it. I got to the chorus and started to feel a lump in my throat and tears form behind my eyes. I realized that I don't know who I look like. I know it is a dumb thing to get choked up about. The rest of the chorus is still true and still me, but I couldn't get the one stupid line out of my head. All my life I've been told I look like my parents, especially my dad. This has been great because you don't have to explain that you are adopted when asked why you don't look like your parents. Actually I also look a lot like my youngest sister and brother as well. But, now with the search I have started I look in the mirror and wonder where I get my forehead and eyes and nose. I know where I get my height, my birth mother was 6 foot 1 when I was born. Now I realize that I didn't necessarily get chocked up because I am sad or upset that I don't know who I look like, but more because I am excited that I am starting this adventure to figure out who I look like.

1 comment:

  1. This song is also true for me as well, literally!
    Thanks for sharing something so close to your heart. I'm glad to share this journey with you! Keep pressing on!

    ReplyDelete